Claim- Full Day Kindergarten is more beneficial than half day kindergarten and therefore all schools should have Full Day Kindergarten.
Reason: Full Day Kindergarten will allow teachers to extend learning during the day and focus more on the individual needs of his/her students.
Warrant: Full Day Kindergarten gives teachers physically more time each day to interact with students and gives more time for teachers to have a more specific curriculum which furthers children’s learning on specific topics.
Backing: If I had to back this to teachers or to parents, I would just emphasize that full day kindergarten gives children more time to connect with their teachers and more time to work on a curriculum in which it isn’t hurried or rushed like half day kindergarten can sometimes be.
Reason: It would be beneficial to teachers, parents, and students.
Warrant: Full day kindergarten would be more beneficial because students have more time given to them to interact and learn in a calm and collected environment. It would be beneficial to teachers because it gives more time to teach on a more structured curriculum. It would be beneficial to parents because having to arrange transportation wouldn’t be a factor and their children would get more out of full day kindergarten because of the social aspects, etc.
Backing: If I had to back this to a teacher or students themselves, I would simply state that the reasons I pointed out earlier are beneficial to everyone involved. It helps the students focus more on what their learning and gives teachers more time to conduct a class that is full of students learning the stepping stones for their later educational career.
Reason: Children extend their social and behavioral skills while in full day kindergarten.
Warrant: Children’s social and behavioral skills would benefit from full day kindergarten because they would be in school longer each day which would get them familiarized to the environment and how to react to certain situations.
Backing: If I had to back this to teachers or parents, I would simply state that having children in the classroom longer, interacting with their peers, that this amount of time would give children the opportunity to increase their social skills because of being in the classroom and interacting with one another. Children’s behavioral skills would evolve because they are with students and teachers longer and should form a relationship that is not only class room based but form personal relationships with one another.
Reason: Kindergarten is the basic stepping stone for elementary school.
Warrant: Elementary school is a long process. If students don’t get off on the right foot, it could affect their entire elementary school career. Kindergarten is the first important step because it teaches you the stepping stones of what the student is going to learn on down the road. Kindergarten not only teaches you the mental skills but the social as well. Children learn how to behavior and associate with each other at this level.
Backing: If I had to back this to a parent or teacher, I would simply state that kindergarten and the time in which children spend there is essential. It is essential because of important criteria learned while in kindergarten. Not only do they learn abc’s, and numbers, but they learn how to interact with one another and how to stand on their own two feet.
Reason: Schools could save money by not having the buses run for half day kindergarten which could be used for full day kindergarten and the materials needed.
Warrant: Schools in which only offer full day kindergarten could save on bus money because the noon buses wouldn’t have to run. The money in which was spent on the noon buses could be used for full day kindergarten and the objectives used.
Backing: If I had to back this, I would simply state that the financial aspect of not having half day kindergarten buses run could benefit many other areas of the school district. I would say that the money saved by not having the buses running could therefore benefit full day kindergarten. This could save the district money. The district therefore is also benefiting from full day kindergarten as well as many others.
Sunday, September 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I understand the points that you are trying to get at; however, I am still unconvinced by some of the points you have made. With your last few arguments, (saving money and stepping stones) I think there is more that you could use to prove your point.
Simply stating that full day kindergarten is a stepping stone does not mean very much to me. While I personally have experienced the benefits of full day kindergarten, I know that there are many parents who would not be convinced by this backing. Half day kindergarten is just as much of a stepping stone, or why else would we have it? I think a better point to make is that as a stepping stone, full day allows for children to get used to the idea of being in school for the full amount of time and it allows for them to have a more school like structured day. In many cases, it is easier for the child to transition in the next years because they are already prepared to be in school for the full amount of time. For the teachers, it is less baby-sitting (it is often difficult to teach children for such a short amount of time because so much time is dedicated to winding the children down, going outside, etc)and more teaching is able to more easily occur during full day kindergarten.
For the money aspect, I could just as easily argue to you that to save money, schools could just take out the afternoon buses all together. I actually know of many schools that have done this and required that parents/guardians provide the transportation during the afternoons for half day kindergarten students.
Overall, I see where you are headed, and have done a good job.
Post a Comment